logo

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Talk to your Kids about your Opinions and Values

Healthy Sexual Behavior
Parents can only pass on to their children the best possible living arrangement in which the family finds itself. To show love and concern for each family member without hurting the others is the role of mother and father. When each person tries to do their part, to the best of their ability, all members of the family will benefit. Being RICH is to experience true love among family members, whether with money or without. Love allows the family to endure trials and hardships.


Influencing Your Child
Your kids want you to talk to them about your opinions and values. They need you to set boundaries and give them consistent direction and advice when it comes to making positive decisions. The following questions are ideas and topics you can discuss with your children to share your concerns, thoughts and feelings.
  • What goals do I have for my children?
  • What have been the biggest regrets in my life?
  • What have been my greatest successes?
  • What goals do my children have for themselves? 
  • As their parent, what can I do to help them reach those goals?
  • Do I know my children’s friends? 
  • Do their friends have similar values and are they capable of making positive decisions?
  • Why is it important for my children to abstain from sex until marriage?
  • Why is it important for my children to resist drinking alcohol, smoking tobacco and marijuana and using other drugs?
  • What is one thing I can do today that will help my children make positive decisions?
Ideas for this activity came from The Peer Project, Indianapolis, IN from http://www.peersproject.com/

Things to Talk About
  • The meaning of life. Who am I? Where am I going?
  • How life begins.
  • The value and importance of being a parent.
  • What things are important to be happy?
  • What things are unimportant and will quickly pass.
  • What is the meaning of death and how to accept the loss of people we love, pets or things a part of one’s life.
  • The purpose of faith, hope and love.
  • Guidelines to get through adolescence and young adulthood.
  • Limitations and boundaries to place on oneself in order to be a healthy and loving person.
Things Kids Want You to Know
I really don’t know everything, BUT, I don’t want you to know it!

I want to be liked by people, ESPECIALLY by kids my own age.

I won’t know if something’s wrong, UNLESS I’m told that it’s wrong!

I watch adults AND I want to act like them if it looks like fun!

I want to belong to a GROUP and act like others act!

I want to be a part of a FAMILY and be loved for myself!

I want a mother and a father to UNCONDITIONALLY love me!

I want to be loved like other kids when their PARENTS won’t let them have everything they want!

I’m afraid to talk to you about PERSONAL things because I may sound naïve and young!

I’m afraid to talk to you because you may get UPSET with me for even wanting to know about the thing I’m curious about!

I don’t know how to say I’m SORRY and mean it without crying!

Tips When Talking To Your Kids
  • Keep your cool. Don't be shocked.
  • Give undivided attention. Stop what you’re doing and really listen to what your child is saying.
  • Be sympathetic, empathetic and respect your child!
  • Give encouragement and help your child to complete projects they may have begun!
  • Share in the joy of your child’s achievement!
Did You Know
Distorted media images of men and women and how they behave when it comes to sex can mislead teens. Sex is used by the media to make money, not to instruct on healthy ways to handle sexual feelings. Don't be fooled!

No comments:

Post a Comment